Printmaking originated in China after paper was invented (about A.D. 105). Relief printing first flourished in Europe in the 15th century, when the process of papermaking was imported from the East. Since that time, relief printing has been augmented by the various techniques such as relief printing, intaglio, planographic, stencil and viscosity printing.
- Canson Edition 250gsm 560 x 760 Canson Edition papers deliver professional results with a variety of media. Versatile and affordable priced, Canson Edition is an excellent choice for artists and discerning art students alike.... more »
- Velin BFK Rives 300gsm 600 x 800 NZD $14.50 Out of Stock Mold-made in France of 100% cotton, these sheets are recommended for all printmaking techniques. They have a neutral pH are internally sized and feature edges with two natural deckles and two tear deckles.... more »
- Tiepolo 280gsm 560 x 760 NZD $9.50 Mould-made watermarked paper suitable for all art printing techniques (etching, engravings, lithography, silkscreen, xilogrpahy, wood cuts, and linoleum). Made of 100% cotton according to ISO 9706 standards "Long Life". It is acid-free, which guarantees permanence to ageing. There are four deckled edges and a watermark at the bottom right-hand corner of the sheet.... more »
- Fabriano Rosaspina 285gsm 500 x 700 NZD $6.20 Paper made with high-quality raw material(60% cotton). It complies with ISO 9706 "Long-Life" standards. It is acid-free, thereby guaranteeing permanence and resistance to ageing. Rosapina paper is produced with cylinder machines, and it is suitable for all art print techniques (engraving, lithography, silk-screening). The watermark runs parallel to the two long sides of the sheet and reproduces the Fabriano trademark and logo. There are two deckled edges.... more »
- Moo Carve Out of Stock This latex-free Carving Block is ideal for stamp carving and printmaking and is constructed of smooth, soft material. It easily cuts into smaller pieces with no crumbling or breaking. Transfer designs or draw in pencil before carving.... more »
- Lino Blocks
- Baren 4.5" NZD $19.95 This Baren is a smooth, light rubbing pad made of bamboo bark that is used in traditional Japanese woodcut printing, or Ukiyo-e. The strong grain of the surface allows the artist to convey pressure firmly to the paper. It measures 4 ½" in diameter.... more »
- Baren 4" NZD $23.95 This 4" baren is perfect for block printing, scrapbooking, card crafting and other crafts requiring burnishing or even pressure distribution over a small surface. It’s ideal for hand and proof printing as it evenly transfers an image onto paper. The durable, impact-proof construction features a smooth ABS plastic surface and a comfortable hardwood handle. Made in the USA.... more »
- X-Acto Carving Tool Set of 6 NZD $80.95 Out of Stock 6 forged steel carving tools with hand-honed hardwood handles. For 3-dimensional carving and deep relief carving in wood or linoleum. Contents include a straight chisel, bent chisel, skew bevel chisel and bent gouge, "U" tool and veining tool.... more »
- X-Acto Basic Woodcarving Set NZD $44.20 Out of Stock Heavy-duty plastic handle knife with assortment of blades and carving gouges. This set contains a #5 knife with six gouges and on each blade, #15, 18, 19, 22, 24 and 26.... more »
- X-Acto Deluxe Woodcarving Set NZD $76.40 Out of Stock For three-dimensional carving, deep relief carving, whittling, shaping and leveling. For the discriminating woodcarver, this wood cased set includes high quality tools.... more »
- RGM Lino Carving Tools
- Gamblin Etching Inks Gamblin Etching Inks were formulated at the request of professional printmakers in the Pacific Northwest who wanted strong reliable inks for edition printing. The palette of pure intense pigments offers a broad range of color mixing potential. Five black inks and Graphite were formulated to meet the demands of printmakers who want deep rich black inks with good working characteristics. Portland Black and Portland Cool Black are ideal for edition printing; both offer a strong line and medium plate tone. For engravers, printers of mezzotints, or others who need more resistance from their ink, Portland Stiff Black is also available.... more »
- Gamblin Relief Inks Gamblin Relief Inks are formulated for all relief techniques, including woodblock, linocut, monotype, and Solarplate. They contain the right amount of stiffness and tack to hold fine detail yet spread evenly on the block or plate. The palette of ten colors is designed to give artists intense pure pigmented colors straight from the jar, along with a wide range of color mixing capabilities. Monotype printmaking, the most painterly of printmaking techniques, is very popular. While most painters and printmakers working in this process learn how to make any kind of ink work, the unique viscosity and tack of Gamblin Relief Inks makes them ideal for monotype printing processes.... more »
- FAS Studio Printing Inks
- Talens Opaque Moist Color 50ml NZD $15.00 Out of Stock
- Tack Reducer NZD $15.95 Tack Reducer is a gel made from a very light drying oil, making it completely compatible with the inks. Small amounts added to ink will efficiently reduce tack. Tack Reducer is transparent to allow the intensity of an inks color to be maintained.... more »
- Magnesium Carbonate NZD $19.95 Magnesium Carbonate is traditionally used to stiffen ink. It will also reduce an ink's gloss level. Once added to ink, Magnesium Carbonate becomes transparent and will not alter the color of the ink. Gamblin recommends adding small amounts at a time; little is needed to add body to an ink. Mix well. It can be used with both Etching and Relief Inks.... more »
- Burnt Plate Oils Burnt Plate Oils are used to lower the viscosity of the ink. Burnt Plate Oil should be added to inks sparingly, as the detail of a print may be lost if the ink becomes too fluid. Burnt Plate Oil #000 has less tack and is a good match for use with Gamblin Relief Inks. Burnt Plate Oil #2 has a higher tack and is excellent for modifying Gamblin Etching Inks.... more »
- Gamsol Gamsol is an excellent solvent for thinning Gamblin mediums and for general painting. It evaporates 100% and leaves no residue in paint layers. Gamsol is less toxic than other brands of OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits), mineral spirits, or turpentine because the harmful aromatic solvent component has been removed. It's also useful for studio and brush cleanup. Gamsol also enables printmakers to easily modify inks.... more »
- Speedball Soft Rubber Rollers
- Rubber Brayer 4" NZD $19.90 Out of Stock Testrite Brayers are designed to meet the specific meeds of artists, crafters, photographers, printers and hobbyists. They are ideal for a wide variety of uses including- burnishing photos, mounting, block printing, stenciling, rubber stamping, type proofs, etc. Made in The U.S.A.... more »
- Lucite Brayers Testrite Brayers are designed to meet the specific meeds of artists, crafters, photographers, printers and hobbyists. They are ideal for a wide variety of uses including- burnishing photos, mounting, block printing, stenciling, rubber stamping, type proofs, etc. Made in The U.S.A.... more »
- Lino Rollers
- RGM Professional Zinc Plates RGM Zinc plates are manually polished to make a mirror polished surface to allow quality printing. Each sheet has a protective film to protect the shiny side and each plate has a protective film to protect the finish. ... more »
- RGM Etching Press NZD $699.95 This manual press is designed and built by RGM with the collaboration of teachers and artists. Ideal for school use, but also achieves a professional print quality thanks to the precision mechanical parts, and the use of the high quality materials. Steel structure with knurled roller and smooth top roller. Accompanied by a table top, in galvanized iron. Print size is 26.5 x 42cm. ... more »
How to buy
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (North Shore): $5.50 per order *
- Shorthaul (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.