Tips & Techniques
- Alla Prima Painting by Jim Auckland 07/19/13 The Alla Prima Painting Group meets most Saturdays in our shop studio, and paints a clothed model for four hours. Everyone welcome. Please see our classes page for more details. Portrait painted with Gamblin Artist's Oils... more »
- Palettes for Oils & Acrylics 11/26/12 How to clean your oil palette and how to set up and clean your acrylic palette... more »
- Why Some Artists' Oils Cost More Than Others 06/08/12 If you've ever purchased and painted with some of the most expensive oil paints on the market, you probably already know that you're getting value for money. If not, you're probably wondering why some professional oil paints range from $12 to $60 and others, $20 to $145.... more »
- Working with Wax-based Colored Pencils 02/20/12 Not all coloured pencils are alike but there's nothing wrong with combining several types and brands. Oil-based pencils are hard, making them suitable for fine detail. Pencils like Colorsoft and Prismacolor Pencils are wax-based, making them softer and easily blended. Colorsoft and Prismacolor also make a solvent in a pencil form but you can also blend them using a liquid solvent like Winsor & Newton Sansodor or Art Spectrum Odourless Solvent. This method allows the blending of several colors, quickly. ... more »
- 4-Color Limited Palette 09/18/11 Limiting your palette can be useful for learning about tonal values, contrast and temperature. This painting was made using Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Titanium White and Ivory Black.... more »
- Color 101 09/18/11 Learning the essentials of good painting does not have to be expensive. All good paintings have three things in common and in order of importance and they are, 1) good composition, 2) good contrast and 3) good colour. This Alla Prima painting was painted using the 3 primaries, plus black & white.... more »
- Make Your Own Graphite Transfer Sheet 07/07/11 How to make a transfer sheet that can be used over and over again.... more »
- The Truth About Brushes 02/02/11 What to look for when purchasing a brush for oils or acrylics.... more »
- On the Go with PITT Artist Pens 09/22/10 Chicago artist, Don Colley, draws on the go with Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens. ... more »
- Faber-Castell Polychromo Pencil Video Demo 09/22/10 Botanical Artist, Wendy Hollander, gives a demonstration using Faber-Castell Polychromo Pencils. ... more »
- Le Stig Product-Test-Drives & Reviews 09/17/10 NZD $0.00 There is so much misinformation and half-truths out there, it can be pretty confusing for the artist. Since the majority of art supply stores in New Zealand own product agencies (which we do not), we've decided to commission a 'tester' who will test products and give unbiased opinions and results. ... more »4 items
- Watercolour Brush Guide 04/21/10 Purchasing the correct brush will not only save you from frustration, but also save you money. Invest in the best watercolor brush that you can afford. Choose brushes that are specifically made for watercolor painting and never use your watercolour brushes for anything other than watercolour. If you take care of your watercolour brushes, they can last you a lifetime. ... more »
- Solvent-Free Painting on Book Board 04/09/10 Book Board is an inexpensive, acid-free, archival board that can be used as a substrate for painting or drawing or any mixed-media project.... more »
- Dry Brushing with Artists' Acrylics 02/10/10 This technique uses a dark field and Artists' Acrylics are dry-brushed over the top.... more »
- How to Create a Paper Painting Panel 02/09/09 This 13 step tutorial shows you how to create a paper painting panel.... more »
How to buy
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (North Shore): $5.50 per order *
- Shorthaul (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.