Pastels are an art medium in the form of a stick, consisting of pure powdered pigment and a binder. The pigments used in pastels are the same as those used to produce all colored art media, including oil paints; the binder is of a neutral hue and has a low saturation. The color effect of pastels is closer to the natural dry pigments than that of any other process.
The exact composition and characteristics of an individual pastel stick depends on the type of pastel and the type and amount of binder used. It also varies by individual manufacturer. Dry pastels have historically used binders such as gum arabic or gum tragacanth. Methyl cellulose was also introduced as a binder in the twentieth century. They are available in varying degrees of hardness. In order to create hard and soft pastels, pigments are ground into a paste with water and a gum binder and then rolled or pressed into sticks. The French word, "pastel", first appeared in 1662.
- Art Spectrum Extra Soft Square Pastel SetsDiscover the collection of ART SPECTRUM® EXTRA SOFT SQUARE PASTELS. With over 50 years experience of making professional artists’ colours, Art Spectrum are proud to introduce a selection of pure pigment extra soft square pastels. Colours ranging from smouldering darks, to delicate veils of highlight colours, all exhibiting the rich velvety bloom loved by pastel artists. Experience soft creamy pastels that lay down smoothly and blend beautifully onto paper.19 items
The shape allows broad strokes for easy coverage and strong gestural marks and the ability to create fine detailed work.Feel confident that you are using professional artists’ materials made from the highest quality lightfast pigments which are triple-milled to bring out the intensity of each colour. Each single pastel is 13mm high x 16mm wide x 45mm long (1/2 inch high x 5/8 inch wide x 1 3/4 inch long).
- NupastelsA pastel that's just right! They're tougher than traditional soft pastels, but maintain the same rich, creamy pigments needed for superior blending and shading. Artists of all expertise levels can benefit from these pastels.96 items
- Art Spectrum Colourfix Pastels20 items
- Schmincke Soft PastelsUnmatched in their softness and consistency, Schmincke soft pastels were created using the finest artist's pigments and a minimum of binders. The softness of the pastels permits a beautiful dense application, and the extremely high pigment concentration results in great color intensity.248 items
Sticks are rich and buttery in texture. The pigments slide right off the stick without any crumbling or breaking. Schmincke Pastels are prepared by hand and by traditional machines, and also labeled by hand to help prevent breakage. Schmincke's generously sized full stick measures 2-5/8" long × 7/16" in diameter (67 mm × 11 mm).
- Art Spectrum Extra Soft Pastels11 items
- Rembrandt Soft Pastels$6.95The history of Royal Talens goes back to 1899. Rembrandt Soft Pastels have since become one of the most popular artist pastels in the world.202 items
- Mungyo Square PastelsMade with the purest grade of pigment, Gallery Semi-Hard Pastels have unsurpassed bright colors and the highest degree of lightfastness. Their square shape and semi-hardness makes them ideal for both rough sketch and painting, or broad side being easy.44 items
- Art Spectrum Soft PastelsArt Spectrum Soft Pastels provide the artist with colours that are pure, brilliant and intense, and remain that way. The very best pigments are selected and triple milled at maximum concentration to bring out the finest colour and provide the rich, velvety bloom valued by pastellists. This method of production produces smouldering darks, brilliant and intense pure colours and a range of subtle and delicate tints. All Art Spectrum pure pigment pastels are free from heavy metals, asbestos or other toxic substances.154 items
- Faber-Castell Chalk PastelsPolychromos pastels contain the highest quality pigments for unsurpassed resistance to fading. Blend with fingers, stump or paintbrush dipped in white spirit.57 items
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.