We stock two weights of ivory board and four weights of Formacote used for mounting, architectural design, or backing board. We also sell Black or White 5mm Foam board in full sheets (32" x 40"), and in half sheets. We stock full and half sheets of white, 3mm Foam board, and a variety of 10mm Gatorboard in sizes perfect for stretching watercolour paper. We have a selection of Crescent Mat Board in stock for you to choose from or we are happy to place special orders from our color samples, which include Crescent Rag Mat if you prefer board that is 100% cotton and archival.
For the book conservationist or bookmaker, we also stock archival book board in three different weights. We can also special order Archival Foam Board for your conservation requirements.
We are ecstatic to announce that we now stock, and are the only New Zealand dealer of Bainbridge Illustration Board. Our Bainbridge board is two-ply (double thick) and comes in Hot Press and Cold Press, which is suitable for watercolour painting, and perfect for the serious Illustrator, Designer and Fine Artist.
- Strathmore Series 500 Illustration BoardSeries 500 features 100% cotton fiber, acid-free drawing paper mounted on both sides of illustration board. The surfaces are identical to the 500 Series drawing paper, mounted to pure white core. It creates a balanced tension that prevents warping.2 items
- Crescent #200 Hot PressOut of StockThe smoother surface of hot press illustration boards is designed primarily for marker, pen and ink techniques that may require sharper detail. Non-porous smoothness allows pen to flow clean, sharp and uninterrupted across the board, and it also works well as an airbrush board.2 items
- Crescent #100 Cold PressThe textured surface of this cold pressed illustration board is preferred when working with a drawing medium that requires some tooth to the surface, such as charcoal, crayon or pastel. It also works well for brush applications of watercolor or gouache where smooth blending of washes is required. Constructed with a gray core and a surface that allows the medium to be applied without fast absorption.2 items
- Bainbridge 2-ply Cold PressOut of StockThis cold press, 2-ply all purpose illustration board has a medium tooth surface, with a brilliant white front surface, newsboard middle, and tan backing. It will not warp or bow, making it ideal for both wet and dry media, including charcoal, crayon, pencil, and watercolor.2 items
minimum order of 3 x on the 30 x 40 sheets
- Book BoardBook board is available in three different weights and comes in 640 x 900mm sheets. Book board is a special type of cardboard that is a light grey and acid free. Due to the grain of the paper fibers it has an interesting property in that it flexes fairly easily in one direction but it is fairly stiff in the other.3 items
minimum quantities apply
- ACM PanelsAluminium Composite Panels, "ACM Panels" are a durable aluminium composite material. Two strong sheets of aluminium bonded to a solid polythene core. The panels are finished on one side with two coats of Gamblin Oil Painting Ground in an egg shell finish.4 items
Gamblin Oil Ground makes a strong, bright, non absorbent foundation for oil painting. Gamblin Ground is formulated from alkyd resign, titanium dioxide and calcium carbonate. Titanium dioxide gives opacity while calcium carbonate gives tooth for strong adhesion.
The combination of the ACM panel with its wonderful long lasting archival properties and the Internationally recognised Gamblin Oil Ground makes this , truly a panel for the future.
- Art Boards Natural Maple RoundsThis round Art Panel painting surface is made of natural Maple hardwood. Its painting surface is mounted to a multi-layered archival support. The Round Maple Painting Panels have dovetail slots on the back for easy hanging.5 items
- Birch Panels, RoundsBirch veneer with MDF cradle4 items
- GessobordMuseum Series Gessobord is a trusted professional quality prepared wood panel for artists. The superior quality acrylic gesso ground does not dull colors and the wonderful lightly sanded surface provides exceptional brush control with both oils and acrylics. Made with 1/8" hardboard and Archiva-Seal technology, the surface is acid-free, non-yellowing and archival. Made in the USA.8 items
- Claybord Cradled 1.5 InchMuseum Series Claybord is made using 1/8" hardboard and features a kaolin clay ground formula that's archival and acid-free. The surface is sanded to an ultra-smooth, highly absorbant finish that allows paint colors to remain true and brilliant. Work into the surface by thinly applying paint or ink, then remove it, reapply it, even scratch through it to add contrast, texture and fine details. Clayboard can be used with inks, egg tempera, acrylics, collage, pencil, pen, airbrush, photo-transfers, casein, watercolor, gouache, mixed-media, and to mount papers, prints and fabrics. The cradled frames are made with premium grade 13-ply birch plywood for maximum stability and a clean, finished look from edge to edge. Made in the USA.7 items
- Artist Panels Primed SmoothThese panels feature an ultra-smooth finished surface that is great for oils, acrylics and mixed media. A warp-resistant, non-flexible alternative to canvas, the panel is made of top quality 1/8" Ampersand True Artist Hardboard with a smooth acrylic coating. The surface allows for fine brushwork and palette knife painting. It is also perfect for mounting papers, prints and canvas.10 items
- Artist Panels UncradledThese value series panels feature acrylic gesso coated surfaces for use with oil and acrylics. The surface has a canvas-like texture giving artists the advantages of a panel with the feel of fine canvas. The surface allows for greater brush control than traditional stretched canvas. 3/8" Flat panel with a hanging slot. They are a versatile surface at a value price; ideal for students, beginners and leisure painters.6 items
- ScratchbordA rigid hardboard backing and a perfectly inked surface make this the ultimate scratchboard. Made with a thick clay-coating and T100 India Ink. Allows for a full range of tonal values.5 items
- PastelbordIdeal for use with pastels and acrylics, Pastelbord holds pastels better than pastel paper and can be used wet or dry. To rework an area simply wash with water. Available in 1/8" thickness and a variety of colors that provide an excellent under painting.4 items
- Unprimed BasswoodThese unprimed basswood panels accept all types of painting grounds and are excellent for encaustic, mixed media, collage and wood engraving. They are sanded ultra-smooth and lack plywood seams, knots or raised fibers, providing a clean, professional look.2 items
- Strathmore Series 400 Bristol BoardAcid-free, 22" x 30" sheets available in two thicknesses and two surfaces. Smooth surface is suited for pen or pencil, and regular surface is ideal for a broad range of media.4 items
- Self Adhesive Foam Board 3mm$25.0032 x 40"
minimum order is 2 sheets
- Repositional Adhesive Foam Board 5mm$29.0032 x 40"
minimum order is 2 sheets
- Self Adhesive Foam Board 5mm$25.0032 x 40"
minimum order is 2 sheets
- Foam Board 5mmFoamboard is the perfect backing for larger framed works and a great mounting board for artwork or posters. It is also a great board for tabletop displays and signs. 5mm Foamboard is made of resilient extruded polystyrene foam core, laminated on both sides with a white coated-paper stock. It cuts easily with a mat or utility knife, and can be scored and folded.10 items
minimum order on this product is 3 sheets
- Foam Board 3mmFoamboard is the perfect backing for larger framed works and a great mounting board for artwork or posters. It is also a great board for tabletop displays and signs. 3mm Foamboard is made of resilient extruded polystyrene foam core, laminated on both sides with a white coated-paper stock. It cuts easily with a mat or utility knife, and can be scored and folded.1 item
minimum order of 3 x on the 32 x 40 sheets
- Hardboard, FramedUntempered Hardboard, or Masonite, is the perfect support for the artist who likes to paint on a firm surface. It is formed using the Mason method; using wooden chips, blasting them into long fibers with steam and then forming them into boards. The boards are then pressed and heated to form the finished boards. No glue or other material is added. The long fibers give the Hardboard a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability. Unlike other composite wood panels produced using formaldehyde-based resins to bind fibers, Hardboard is made using natural ingredients only, which makes it permanent and an environmentally friendly product.11 items
- HardboardUntempered Hardboard, or Masonite, is the perfect support for the artist who likes to paint on a firm surface. It is formed using the Mason method; using wooden chips, blasting them into long fibers with steam and then forming them into boards. The boards are then pressed and heated to form the finished boards. No glue or other material is added. The long fibers give the Hardboard a high bending strength, tensile strength, density and stability. Unlike other composite wood panels produced using formaldehyde-based resins to bind fibers, Hardboard is made using natural ingredients only, which makes it permanent and an environmentally friendly product.18 items
- Black Core Mat Board$31.00
- Incredible Art BoardThe Incredible Art Board provides a long lasting paper stretching surface for watercolor artists. It has a unique soft surface that can be taped repeatedly without tearing and is self-healing when stapled. The Incredible Art Board will not buckle, bend or warp and both sides of the board are equally usable. It’s made from a very light-weight material, so it is ideal for use in the field. The small board weighs 13 oz.; the larger size weighs 26 oz.2 items
- Crescent Watercolor Board PremiumThis premium watercolor substrate has a pure, 100% cotton rag surface mounted to a 100% acid-free, white core board. The extra heavy, double thick, .090" (3mm) board eliminates the need for stretching. Excellent for watercolor, illustration and airbrush.2 items
- Crescent Watercolor BoardCrescent Watercolor Board is recommended as a surface for illustrations that will be scanned and tranferred to digital media.2 items
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.