Mediums, Solvents, Varnishes & Grounds
Select from our range of Oils, Acrylic, Sprays, Watercolour and Raw Materials. If you would like to know more please read our blog post "the differences between solvents".
- M Graham Walnut Oil 8 ounce$23.95Walnut oil effectively removes color from artists' brushes and is a natural vegetable oil that does not evaporate or remove essential oils from the artists' brushes. The addition of walnut oil to color will slow drying, enhance flow and increase sheen.
Our walnut oil medium is compatible with other artists oil colors and mediums.
- Res N Gel$38.95Mixing medium for oil color. Accelerates drying time and adds textural effects. In a 150ml tube.
- Art Spectrum Varnishes$15.80-$233.4012 items
- Daler-Rowney Solvents$12.90-$38.309 items
- Daler-Rowney Varnishes$17.40-$45.4010 items
- Archival Painting Mediums$12.80-$59.7012 items
- Winsor & Newton Artisan Mediums$21.80-$39.957 items
- Art Spectrum Painting Mediums$11.50-$169.7024 items
- Winsor & Newton Painting Mediums$18.00-$90.9015 items
- Daler-Rowney Painting Mediums$14.10-$40.2013 items
- Gamblin Painting Mediums$11.40-$220.0022 items
- Gamblin Oil Ground$44.90-$85.50This non-absorbent ground works like a traditional oil ground, leaving finished paintings brighter since the oil is left in the paint film instead of being absorbed. Two thin layers of Gamblin Ground equal four layers of acrylic gesso. Instead of linseed oil, Gamblin Ground is made with alkyd resin for increased flexibility and quicker dry time. Traditional linseed oil grounds need about six months to dry. Gamblin Ground is ready for paint application in a few days and may be used directly upon panels without sizing.2 items
- Gamvar Picture Varnish$43.40-$71.40Developed in collaboration with the National Gallery of Art, Gamblin Gamvar Varnish saturates and gives greater depth to the colors in your painting and gives your work a unified and protective surface. Virtually odorless and ready to apply, Gamvar goes on water-clear, stays water-clear, and can be easily and safely removed with Gamblin Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits.6 items
- Gamsol$12.50-$109.80Gamsol is an excellent solvent for thinning Gamblin mediums and for general painting. It evaporates 100% and leaves no residue in paint layers. Gamsol is less toxic than other brands of OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits), mineral spirits, or turpentine because the harmful aromatic solvent component has been removed. It's also useful for studio and brush cleanup.4 items
Gamsol also enables printmakers to easily modify inks.
- Art Spectrum Pure Gum Turpentine$12.30-$183.70Double distilled for artists' use. Use in the preparation of painting mediums and for cleaning equipment. Do not use neat as a diluent for oil paint.4 items
- Art Spectrum Oil Prime$50.50-$93.10Oil Prime is a unique oil/acrylic resin blend. The 40% linseed oil content provides controlled absorbency, which maintains the natural glow of oil pint. Non-toxic, non-flammable and equipment washes up with water.2 items
- Art Spectrum Odourless Solvent$12.50-$186.20Ideal for artists who are sensitive to the odour of turpentine. Use to cleaning brushes and as an additive to mediums.4 items
- Art Spectrum Gloss Varnish (Paraloid)
- Art Spectrum Citrus Turpentine$25.50-$107.50Use sparingly as a diluent for oil paint, mediums and for cleaning brushes.3 items
- Art Spectrum Artists Turpentine$10.20-$141.60Artists' Turpentine has less tack than Gum Turpentine. Use in the preparation of painting mediums and for cleaning equipment. Do not use neat as a diluent for oil paint.4 items
- Art Spectrum Art Clean$40.20-$79.90Perfect for all applications in the studio such as cleaning brushes, palettes, hands as well as a large range of household applications. Fragrant Art Clean is made from a blend of natural extracts. Colour and aroma variation is natural. Art Clean contains no petroleum based solvents and no harmful bleaches.2 items
- Sargent Art Acrylic Pearlescent Mixing Medium 16oz$24.10Can be used to produce pearlescent paint effects. Mix one part of acrylic colour paint with approximately ten parts of Pearlescent Mixing Medium and mix thoroughly. Using too much paint will reduce the pearlescent effect. Made in the USA.
- Sargent Art Acrylic Matte Medium 16oz$15.95Dries to a permanent, matte finish. Water reducible, non yellowing. Made in the USA
- Sargent Art Liquid Gesso$17.95-$30.90Sargent Art Liquid Gesso is an acrylic primer formulated for use on raw canvas and other surfaces to seal and provide a light 'tooth' for for acrylic and other paint media. Permanent and water resistant when dry. Made in the USA.2 items
- Atelier Universal Medium/Varnish$28.10Mix with Acrylic artists' paint to reduce viscosity for improved brushabilty and glazing, or as a final varnish with a finish of your choice.
- Atelier Slow Medium$22.70Low Viscosity. Slows the drying process of Atelier Interactive. Allows thinly painted areas to be re-wet and remain workable for longer.
- Atelier Satin Varnish$21.50-$60.90Use as a final varnish for artists' acrylics to protect artwork and give a semi-gloss, satin sheen.2 items
- Atelier Regular Gel 250ml$21.50An Acrylic gel with a smooth buttery consistency. Use as a paint extender to add gloss and transparency without altering consistency. Mix with paint to increase body or apply directly on top of paint layer for a transparent textural effect.
- Atelier Gloss Medium 250ml$21.50Mid-Viscosity. A general purpose fluid medium that adds translucency and a rich oil-like gloss
- Matisse Mm28 Polymer Satin Varnish$31.60MM28 Polymer Satin Varnish is used as a final varnish over a dried, well-cured acrylic painting when a satin or very mid level sheen is required (and the use of MM29 Satin Varnish(turps-based) is not appropriate).Polymer water-based varnishes may appear to be slightly hazy whilst in solution. This is an optical effect produced by light refraction of acrylic particles suspended within the water-based medium. The effect disappears when the film is dry. As acrylics dry very rapidly, care should be taken to apply varnish pre-diluted with water. Polymer Varnish, applied in very thick layers on a hot day, could trap moisture,resulting in a cloudy film which would be very difficult to correct.
- Glow in the Dark Medium$8.20Apply one or two coats to any craft or fabric surface. Paint will absorb the light and glow in the dark. 59ml
- Daler-Rowney Gesso$19.95-$58.955 items
- Daler-Rowney Mediums$8.50-$165.0322 items
- PVA Size$22.80-$50.60Diluted with distilled water, PVA size is a contemporary size for fabric support. PVA seals the fabric but does not re-absorb atmospheric moisture, preventing the size layer from swelling and shrinking. It has a neutral pH and does not yellow, plus it retains its flexibility, does not emit harmful volatiles, and protects fabric from the ground. PVA does not tighten the fabric like rabbit skin glue, so stretch fabric tightly.2 items
- Jo Sonjas Polyurethane Varnish 250ml$31.70Durable formulation for indoor & outdoor use3 items
Clear, non-yellowing, quick drying. Approximate coverage: 1ml = 215sq centimeters
- Triple Thick Gloss Glaze$5.00-$11.50Add a glazed ceramic look to a variety of hard surfaces. Three times as thick as other finishes, it provides a protective, non-yellowing coat that dries quickly and evenly. It goes on smoothly with no stroke marks. The finish adds the illusion of depth and resists cracking. Suitable for wood, wicker, plaster, papier mache, resins, painted china, pre-primed metal, pinecones, jewelry, bisque, artificial flowers and more.3 items
- Jo Sonjas Textile Medium 250ml$25.70
- Winsor & Newton Clear Gesso$23.80-$61.10This gesso is made from unpigmented, clear resin which provides excellent tooth but dries completely clear, therefore it doesn't change the original appearance of your ground. If you want to start your work from a coloured ground, you can make your own tinted gesso primer by the addition of acrylic colours. It is fast drying and provides a balanced absorbency. It dries to a flexible ground suitable for acrylic, oil and alkyd painting. It is also suitable for preparing a surface for pastel or charcoal.3 items
- Winsor & Newton Flow Improver$23.80-$38.10This additive increases the flow of acrylic colours, by breaking down the surface tension of the water. It is ideal for the application of areas of flat and even colour without changing colour strength. It is also effective for hard edge painting techniques, staining and water colour techniques. It maintains the stability of the colour and slightly slows drying, so colours will remain usable slightly longer when mixed with the medium. This additive maintains no colour shift from wet to dry when used with Winsor & Newton Acrylics.2 items
- Winsor & Newton Glazing Medium$23.80-$38.10This is the best medium for creating glazes as it gives maximum transparency to the colour as well as enhancing colour brilliance. This enables you to build up thin layers of highly transparent colour to achieve luminous and glowing effects. The medium is translucent so it ensures no colour shift from wet to dry when used with Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylics.2 items
- Winsor & Newton Gloss Gel$13.30-$49.99This medium increases the transparency, depth and gloss of the colour. It's gel consistency is thicker than the Gloss Medium, matching the luxuriously thick and buttery consistency of the colour. Hence when mixed with colour, the thickness of the colour is maintained, so the paint retains brush strokes and palette knife marks for excellent impasto effects. This means you can change the paint without compromising the feel. It dries to an even gloss finish. This medium dries completely clear and maintains no colour shift from wet to dry when used with Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic.3 items
- Winsor & Newton Gloss Medium$36.30This medium increases the depth, transparency and flow of the colour, making it ideal for blending or fine detail work. It can be used in thicker layers than the Glazing Medium and provides an even gloss finish. This medium dries completely clear and maintains no colour shift from wet to dry when used with Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic.1 item
- Winsor & Newton Gloss UV Varnish$23.80-$58.20Winsor & Newton Varnishes contain a UV protective agent which improves lightfastness and protects from other UV damage such as fading or colour shifting in tone. Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic varnishes are equally suitable for use on artwork painted in oils and alkyds. They can also be intermixed to vary the result and to achieve any sheen.3 items
- Winsor & Newton Matt UV Varnish$23.80-$36.30Winsor & Newton Varnishes contain a UV protective agent which improves lightfastness and protects from other UV damage such as fading or colour shifting in tone. Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic varnishes are equally suitable for use on artwork painted in oils and alkyds. They can also be intermixed to vary the result and to achieve any sheen.2 items
- Winsor & Newton Satin UV Varnish$23.80-$36.30Winsor & Newton Varnishes contain a UV protective agent which improves lightfastness and protects from other UV damage such as fading or colour shifting in tone. Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic varnishes are equally suitable for use on artwork painted in oils and alkyds. They can also be intermixed to vary the result and to achieve any sheen.2 items
- Krylon Craft Foam Primer$20.80
- Krylon Dulling Spray$25.60Temporarily reduces shine and glare when photographing or filming bright objects. Removable dull finish for use on items to be photographed and videotaped, Reduces shine, Semi-drying finish wipes off easily, Leaves no marks. Dries to the touch in 15 minutes. For use on metal, plastic, glass, plaster, ceramic
- Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish Gloss$26.95Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish features a latex enamel formula that provides a permanent, protective, non-yellowing finish without the strong odor of traditional coatings. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, it may be applied on plastic, silk flowers, papier mâché, ceramic, plaster, glass, metal, wood, and craft foam. Choose from gloss or matte finishes.
- Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish Matte$26.95Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish features a latex enamel formula that provides a permanent, protective, non-yellowing finish without the strong odor of traditional coatings. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, it may be applied on plastic, silk flowers, papier mâché, ceramic, plaster, glass, metal, wood, and craft foam. Choose from gloss or matte finishes.
- Krylon Kamar Varnish$25.95Krylon Kamar Varnish provides clear, lasting protection for oil, acrylic, and water-based paints. It's free of the impurities found in natural varnish, so it will not yellow with age. It allows reworking of the painting, and it can be safely removed by conservators for restoration.
- Daler-Rowney 400ml Artist Clear Picture Varnish$33.80A removable picture varnish for a clear even gloss, which will not yellow or bloom. May be used on both oil and acrylic painting.
- Daler-Rowney 150ml Artist Clear Picture Varnish$20.50A removable picture varnish for a clear even gloss, which will not yellow or bloom. May be used on both oil and acrylic painting.
- Daler-Rowney 400ml Perfix Aerosol$30.10Pastel Fixative is a perfect colourless fixative for pastels, crayon or charcoal drawing.
- Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Maxx$23.30A premium clear coating for added durability and protection. Dries in 10 minutes. Protective, non-yellowing finish. Dry to the touch in 10 minutes. Dry to handle in 1 hour. For use on: wood, metal, plastic, wicker, dried silk flowers, fabric, ceramic, plaster, glass, wicker, metal, wood, paper mache. 311g3 items
- Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint Black 12oz$27.60This chalk paint formula contains fine particles of slate-like abrasive materials which give years of use. Use to refinish chalkboards, ping pong tables or on any smooth, non-porous surface.
- Krylon Wood Finish Varnish 11oz$16.95This crystal clear spray varnish seals wood finishes and enhances surface grains. It makes an excellent protective coating for brass, bronze and other metals. The durable finish has an outstanding resistance to chemicals and abrasion.2 items
- Krylon Magnetic Spray Paint 13oz$31.95Use by itself or as a primer with any spray to create a surface that magnets will stick to! The more you apply, the stronger the attraction will be. Use it as a base on doors, walls, and furniture so that you can attach magnetic films and sheets. It's great for classrooms and studios.
- Krylon Glow-In-The-Dark Spray 6oz$18.95This glow-in-the-dark paint is suitable for indoor and outdoor use to create a glowing effect. The painted surface recharges with exposure to light.
- Krylon Gallery Pastel Fixative 11oz$34.40This spray fixatif offers invisible protection of artwork without dissolving pastel whites and light colors. Provides final and workable protection. It contains UV light absorbers and stabilizers. Safeguards pastel, charcoal, pencil and chalk from dusting, smudging and fading.
- Krylon Satin Finish 11oz$25.60A clear, protective spray finish for all kinds of arts, crafts, and home décor projects. It is non-yellowing, moisture-resistant and provides a permanent, protective gloss finish. Great for use with wood, metal, wicker, plastic, glass, plaster, ceramic, paper, paper mache, dried/silk flowers, and more. In an 11 oz. aerosol can.
- Krylon UV Resistant Clear 11oz$26.90Protects your valuable projects against harmful UV light rays. Protects against fading, is moisture resistant and smudge-proof. Can be used for photography, watercolor, fabric, pencil, charcoal, and more.
- Krylon Crystal Clear Triple Thick Glaze$26.20This triple-thick coating produces a bright, glass-like finish for arts and crafts. Used as a non-firing glaze for bisque or plaster, it’s also excellent for porcelainizing, decoupage, papier mâché, collage, artificial flowers, quilling and much more.
- Spectrafix Pastel Spray$32.95Out of StockSpectraFix is a casein-based pastel fixative that utilizes milk protein and grain alcohol to provide a non-toxic, fully archival fixative for pastel, charcoal, conte, watercolor, gouache and multi-media techniques. It holds and protects media without darkening or dulling colors. It can also be used under oil paintings to hold a preliminary charcoal or pencil sketching and provide a barrier between the oil paint and the drawing. It is all natural, odor-free and can be sprayed indoors while without obnoxious odors or unhealthy fumes. 12 oz. non-aerosol pump fine mist plastic spray bottle.
- Krylon Matte Finish 11oz$25.60Krylon Matte Finish provides a permanent, non-gloss finish which protects art, crafts and valuables. Eliminates light reflection. Dries fast and clear.
- Krylon Preserve It Spray 11oz$21.95Digital photo and paper protectant more than doubles the life of documents and photos.2 items
- Nuart Workable Fixative 350g$24.95Specially formulated for charcoal, pencil or pastel drawings and layouts. Provides compatible surface for rework needs. Gives a clear protective coating to prevent dusting or smudging.
- Nuart Picture Varnish Satin 400g$25.95This fine colourless varnish is carefully formulated to protect your valued works of art. Suitable for use on Oil and Acrylic Paintings. As a final varnish, two coats should be applied allowing the first to dry before re-spraying. May be removed with Distilled Turpentine if desired.
- Nuart Picture Varnish Matt 400g$24.95This fine colourless varnish is carefully formulated to protect your valued works of art. Suitable for use on Oil and Acrylic Paintings. As a final varnish, two coats should be applied allowing the first to dry before re-spraying. May be removed with Distilled Turpentine if desired.
- Nuart Picture Varnish Gloss 400g$24.95This fine colourless varnish is carefully formulated to protect your valued works of art. Suitable for use on Oil and Acrylic Paintings. As a final varnish, two coats should be applied allowing the first to dry before re-spraying. May be removed with Distilled Turpentine if desired.
- Art Spectrum Gum Arabic 50ml$20.10
- Dr Martin's Frisket Mask Liquid$19.95These liquids work great for masking off areas and will seal well on most surfaces. The Level 1 formula peels off clean without tearing paper. Level 2 is a thinner liquid that features a soft grip, and produces an easy-lift peel so the mask will come off in one piece without crumbling. AP approved non-toxic and conforms to ASTM Standard D-4236.2 items
- Daler-Rowney Rown 75ml OX Gall Solution$15.70Improves the wetting and increases the flow of watercolour. Only add a few drops of Ox Gall to the mixing water.
- Daler-Rowney 75ml Art Masking Fluid$17.70Used to create striking white highlights or areas for overpainting at a later stage.
- Daler-Rowney 175ml Art Masking Fluid$31.40
- Daler-Rowney Simply 75ml Art Masking Fluid$13.20
- Daler-Rowney Rown 75ml Poster & Watercolour Varnish$17.50Apply one coat for a glossy surface on watercolours, poster or gouache paintings and designs.
- Art Spectrum Masking Fluid$27.80-$78.70A rubber latex solution which is painted over any dry area you wish to keep free of colour. Allow the masking fluid to dry before over-painting. Peel or rub off with fingers or suitable eraser when paint is dry.2 items
- Winsor & Newton Blending Medium 75ml$17.30This liquid is used to slow the drying rate of water colours allowing more time for blending. It is particularly useful in hot climates where artists would like their water colours to stay open and workable for a longer period of time.
- Winsor & Newton Permanent Masking Medium 75ml$21.50This medium is used to mask specific areas of paper, making them resistant to water. It can also be mixed with water colours and is ideal for isolating areas of fine detail. Unlike Art Masking Fluid, Permanent Masking Medium is not removable.
- Winsor & Newton Ox Gall Liquid 75Ml$21.50A wetting agent used to improve flow when mixed directly with water colours. It can also be used on very hard sized papers to reduce surface tension.
- Winsor & Newton Gum Arabic 75ml$21.50A pale coloured solution that increases the gloss and transparency of water colour. It can be thinned with water.
- Winsor & Newton Granulation Medium 75ml$21.50Gives mottled or granular appearance to colours which usually give a smooth wash. For maximum effect dilute colour with medium alone. Dilution with additional water will provide a variety of results.
- Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid 75ml$22.95Masks work on paper when colour is applied in broad washes.
- Winsor & Newton Aquapasto 60ml$22.25Out of StockAquapasto is a transparent gel medium that reduces flow and gives a bodied effect to water colour and gouache.
- Winsor & Newton Watercolour Texture Medium 75ml$21.50Texture medium contains fine particles and can be used to give the impression of depth and structure to water colour paintings. It is ideal for emphasising areas such as sandy beaches or the bark of a tree in figurative paintings. Used with multiple washes, Texture Medium catches different layers of colour and really gives a new dimension to water colour painting.
- Winsor & Newton Watercolour Iridescent Medium 75ml$21.50This medium gives pearlescent or glitter effects to your water colours. It can be mixed directly with water colours or applied over a dried wash.
- Daler-Rowney Gum Arabic 75ml$17.60Increases the gloss and transparency of watercolours.
- Daler-Rowney Masking Fluid 75ml$16.95Use when areas of your work require protection from washes of water-based colour.
- Rabbit Skin Glue 14ounce (454g)$47.00
- Gamblin Dry Pigments$18.30-$64.5021 items
- Daler-Rowney 28g Rabbit Skin Size$19.50For preparing painting surfaces prior to oil priming. Also used with gesso powder.
- R&F Damar Resin Crystals$42.601 pound (454 grams)
- Matisse Dry Mediums$9.40-$17.50Derivan has explored an extensive variety of minerals and man-made additives before finalising their selection of Matisse Dry Mediums. Many of them provide magnificent textural effects, never previously achievable. Others fulfill a more specific function.17 items
- Art Spectrum Whiting (chalk dust) 500g$12.40Out of Stock
- Art Spectrum Talc (soap stone dust) 500g$17.40
- Art Spectrum Rabbit Skin Glue 500g$81.70
- Art Spectrum Kaolin (china clay dust) 500g$11.70
- Art Spectrum Bleached Bees Wax$33.90-$126.303 items
- Art Spectrum Shellac Flakes 250g$44.50
- Art Spectrum Damar Crystals 500g
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.