Brushes, Knives & Blenders
We are proud to stock the largest range of brushes and painting knives in New Zealand. Because we have painted with every brand and style of brush that we stock, personally, we can advise you on the best brush to suit your needs. We stock flats, filberts and rounds in addition to specialty brushes designed for every imaginable artistic task. We also sell scrapers, blenders, rollers, sponges and over 30 styles of painting knives.
Our manufactures include Escoda the finest handmade brush since 1933, Trekell, Winsor & Newton, Art Spectrum, Daler-Rowney, Hayden, Robert Simmons, Museum and D.A.S. brushes, ranging from student Chinese hog hair to the finest quality Synthetic Mongoose. Not only is our selection unsurpassed, so are our prices.
- Real Value Set of 4 Long Handle White Taklon$30.80
- #6 Round
- #8 Bright
- #6 Filbert
- #12 Flat
- #6 Round
- Real Value Set of 4 Long Handle Bristle$23.80Out of Stock
- #6 Round
- #8 Bright
- #4 Filbert
- #12 Flat
- #6 Round
- Princeton Snap! Set of 3 Long Handle White Taklon$26.30
- #6 Bright
- #6 Fibert
- #8 Round
- #6 Bright
- Princeton Snap! Set of 3 Long Handle Natural Bristle$20.40
- #4 Round
- #6 Flat
- #8 Bright
- #4 Round
- Calli-Sumi Brushes$7.80-$10.70Calli-Sumi brushes are made with coarse, stiff horse hair which gives a crisp touch. Each brush has been made to suit the demands of various styles of brush calligraphy and Sumi-e, an ancient syle of painting renowned for is simplicity, grace and beauty.6 items
- Yasutomo Hake Sheep Hair Brushes BH3 Hake$4.95-$16.30Yasutomo Hake brushes are unique, flat wide brushes ideal for applying media over large areas, or wash, sizing, glue and more. The flat handle and soft sheep hair give you excellent brush control. They are indispensable tools when working with delicate and absorbent Oriental papers and on art and craft projects.5 items
- Risslon Brush S4660 Mop
Risslon is a special blend of blue squirrel hair and black taklon which can hold huge amounts of color. The reason why the black taklon has been mixed is to retain good spring and point, as only squirrel hair itself is too delicate in spite of good color carrying capacity. It comes with a gorgeous appearance with brownish-black hair and seamless metal ferrule fitted to a polished short handle. This range is ideal for water color,acrylic, gouache or silk paint.
- Mix Hair S656 Deerfoot Stippler$5.80-$15.204 items
- Hair Brush Sm100 Chinese$6.70-$23.407 items
- Hake Brush$4.30-$13.507 items
- Escoda 8146 Natural Cerda$22.70-$64.40
Natural chungking bristle with a single thickness-flat square edge. Great for varnishing with Gamvar. Matt varnished
- Trekell Series 400 Hog Bristle$8.90-$49.30
The Trekell Hog Bristle Brush line has the bristle brush characteristics you've come to expect: flags at the tip, a natural curve, and interlocking bristles assisting you to spread paint smoothly. But the virtue setting Trekell's Hog Bristles apart is the feel. With long black and silver-lacquered handles and nickel-plated brass ferrules, these brushes are perfectly balanced. They move gracefully and evenly; an extension instead of an impediment. A Hog Bristle is an oil or acrylic necessity, one that's as valuable to your collection as it is affordable to own.
- 1180 Bristle Synthetic Mix$9.76-$40.30
These beautiful artist brushes contain the best Chungking hog bristle processed with the Neributa technique and blended with white taklon. Neributa is the name of technique to produce top quality hog brush heads. It means kneaded hog bristles in Japanese. Only the finest Chungking hog bristles are used for its production which was developed more than 30 years ago by Japanese artisans who possess superb brush making skills. This range is blended with white taklon filament for added softness and durability.
- Princeton Gesso Brushes$24.90-$57.30
A large natural bristle brush with wood handle ideal for priming canvas or doing large washes. Hand crafted in the U.S.A.
- Refine Natural Bristle Oil & Acrylic Brushes$12.24-$122.20
Princeton’s flagship line of interlocked bristle, Refine™ starts with premium quality Chungking bristle and adds the panache of hand-formed interlock construction. The natural taper and curve of the bristle is expertly arranged within the hair tuft to form crisp edges and resilient points. Interlocked brushes hold their form in heavy use while other non-interlocked bristle can look more deranged than arranged. The true bounty of Refine™ is in its shape and size offering. Unique shapes like short filberts , extreme egberts, and sharp angle shaders usually only appear in much more expensive European ranges.
- DAS 1190-B$63.80-$126.70
Made in Japan
- Aquash Water 4 Brush Set$66.40
This waterbrush set includes three rounds in fine, medium and broad, and one flat. The durable, nylon bristles of these self-wetting brushes hold a point and can create broad strokes as well as fine lines. The soft easy-to-squeeze barrel is comfortable to hold and it contains the water needed to create a beautiful watercolor painting. The brush can be used with watercolor crayons, markers, watercolor pencils and traditional watercolors to smooth and spread color, and create an array of dramatic effects.
- Aquash Water Brushes$11.90-$19.40
The durable, nylon bristles of this self-wetting brush hold a point and can create broad strokes to fine lines. The soft easy-to-squeeze barrel is comfortable to hold and it contains the water needed to create a beautiful watercolor painting. It can be used with watercolor crayons, markers, watercolor pencils and traditional watercolors to smooth and spread color, and create an array of dramatic effects.
- Gamvar Varnish Brush$45.30-$61.50
This is the only brush designed to work perfectly with Gamblin Gamvar Varnish. Get the depth of color, the saturation of color, and precisely the gloss level you want. Easily. Every time.
This brush has the correct thickness and stiffness — soft enough to contour to the texture of your work, yet stiff enough to evenly and thinly varnish your painting. Works with Gamvar Gloss, Satin, and Matte on oil and acrylic paintings.
- Escoda Perla 1432 Flat Wash Brushes$65.95-$101.503 items
- Trekell Golden Nylon 6" Handle$6.20-$78.90
The 6" handle version of Trekell's Golden Taklon line takes everything artists love about the 10" version -- the snap, durability, look, and feel -- and transfers it to a complete brush offering complete control. Indeed, the once-frustrating world of fastidious detail is now no match thanks to this brush's nimbleness, flow, and maneuverability. Pair it with its sibling and you have quite the dynamic attack. Of course, that's part of the Golden Taklon line's design: On their own each brush is special, but together they make an unbeatable team.
- Trekell One Stroke Lettering 8070 Brushes$9.20-$51.10
The Trekell synthetic squirrel line offers an equivalent to natural squirrel hair. Designed with control in mind, these brushes bring together precision and unhampered flow without the fear of flare outs. With 6" black handles, feel right when performing detailed work. But, more importantly, you can count on them to work correctly.
Trekell's One Stroke Brush went through a meticulous design process to ensure it excels at lettering. Utilizing the versatility and maneuverability of its pinstriping lineage, the One Stroke Brush goes across a painting surface smoothly without a hint of drag. Apply pressure to the 6" black handle to fatten-up lines or ease-back for daintier strokes; either way, you're treated to the cleanliness and clarity that are true Trekell qualities. However you use one, a One Stroke Brush makes its mark.
- Pastrello Palette Knives$16.70
In collaboration with Italian artist Franco Pastrello, RGM has created a whole new series of palette knives based around the technique of painting with soft palette knives . The narrow blade styles allow for superb flexibility and very fine details. The blades are made of high-quality steel that has been specially treated to protect the blade as well as improve the spreadability of color. The ergonomic handles are made from handsome bubinga wood.
- Gamblin Studio Knives$23.80-$25.50
Balanced tension and spring makes these palette knives flexible enough to mix paint yet strong enough to hold their own against a canvas. They feature one-piece, non-reflective blades and hand-dipped, FSC-Certified wood handles.
- Jasart Palette Knives$9.2011 items
- RGM Classic Painting Knife$9.50These high-quality painting knives are offered at an exceptionally low price. They are manufactured of quality, seamless carbon steel and feature solid brass ferrules and hardwood handles with peg holes. Each blade is tempered and ground by hand to assure consistent flexibility and quality.24 items
- RGM Large Palette Knife$9.00-$22.95
Made with tempered stainless steel mirror blades and natural handles, these large painting spatulas have superior flexibility and quality. They can be used for mixing, moving and manipulating paint, for applying texture mediums for dimensional artwork and for texturizing paper-born artwork. Available in a variety of unique shapes to fit every artists’ needs.
- RGM New Age Painting Knife$24.95Take your paintings to the next level with these unconventional palette knife styles featuring new unique shapes and a special water-resistant mirror blade. They are great for use with all relief pastes such as mortar, gels (matt gel, heavy gel), modeling pastes, and gesso. These specially shaped knives can also be used when painting with acrylics and oils to obtain “relief” effects with a variety of thicknesses and layers.5 items
- RGM New Generation Spatula$29.95
Large palette knives. Blade lengths up to 25cm
- Plastic Palette Knife Set 5 Pce$5.80
- Foam Brushes-Fine Density
- Poly Foam Brush$1.70-$3.604 items
- Sponge Roller$0.80-$1.603 items
- Foam Roller Handle 100mm$8.30
- Foam Roller 6 #1344$8.54
- Foam Roller 100mm X 6mm$2.95
- Messermeister Silicone Scrapers$22.40-$39.50
The preferred tool for applying Cold Wax Medium
- Catalyst Mini Blades
Ideal for oils, acrylics and water-miscible oils, these mini blades are made out of nylon and silicone and are mounted on artist brush handles offering a blend of tradition and innovation. The blades are heat-resistant, solvent-resistant, dishwasher-safe and approved food-safe by the FDA. They work well with plaster, clay, encaustics, ceramics, cake decorating and food crafting. The silicone is easy to wipe clean and is solvent resistant. Clean up in most cases can be done with mild soap and water. Dried paint can be peeled off the silicone surface.
- Catalyst Silicone Wedges$20.50
Designed for use with heavy-bodied paints, these wedges are made of engineered silicone and are ergonomically designed to fit in the hand allowing a direct interaction with art work. They are ideal for oils, acrylics and water-miscible oils, and because they are heat-resistant, they excel at encaustics as well. They also work well with plaster, clay and even frosting. Made of FDA-approved silicone, they are also are great for food crafting. The silicone is easy to wipe clean and is solvent resistant. Clean up in most cases can be done with mild soap and water. Dried paint can be peeled off the silicone surface.
- Catalyst Silicone Blades$21.50-$30.90
Designed for use with heavy-bodied paints, these blades are made of engineered silicone and are mounted on artist brush handles offering a blend of tradition and innovation. They are ideal for oils, acrylics and water-miscible oils, and because they are heat-resistant, they excel at encaustics as well. They also work well with plaster, clay and even frosting. Made of FDA-approved silicone, they are also are great for food crafting. The silicone is easy to wipe clean and is solvent resistant. Clean up in most cases can be done with mild soap and water. Dried paint can be peeled off the silicone surface. The blades can even be separated from their wood handles for cleaning and easily replaced when dry.
- Soft Rubber Blenders$8.00-$10.003 items
- Hard Rubber Blenders$8.00-$10.003 items
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.