Drawing & Sketching: Charcoal
Natural charcoal is the oldest sketching and drawing material in the world. The greyish-blue shade glides softly across the paper, rubs and smudges easily, and can be erased without difficulty and repeatedly overlaid.
- Derwent Charcoal Pencils3 items
- Nitram Fusains Liquid Charcoal$49.95Nitram Liquid Charcoal is water-soluble, and can be diluted with water to adjust the values from a very light gray to a deep, rich black. Straight out of the tube, it is as thick as oil paint and can be worked with a palette knife. It dries very fast.
- Nitram Baton & Mignonetteshe Nitram Baton is a stylish charcoal holder for artists with a creative flair. It is an innovative drawing device designed to hold thin 4mm Nitram Mignonette charcoal sticks. It is light-weight, clean, easy to use and ideal for life drawing, plein aire and sketching. Each Baton comes with five Mignonettes. Refills are available in a package of seven Mignonettes.3 items
- Nitram Fusains CharcoalDesigned for students and demanding artists in search of deep, rich black tones, these Academie charcoal sticks are breakage-resistant, smooth, blend easily and provide a diverse range of tonal values. They are made using a proprietary old world manufacturing process that ensures consistency and reliability for artists of all proficiencies. Drawing instructors make Nitram a must for their students because it will not crumble or skip when used expressively unlike vine or willow charcoal sticks. Artists have also found that Nitram charcoal erases better and is easier to work than other charcoal brands. Grade B (soft) is soft, yet is still able to carry a point. Grade HB (medium) is ideal for homogenizing tones and retaining tonal detail. Grade H (hard) can be sharpened to an extra-fine point for creating fine detail, and its hardness makes lighter and mid-tones easier to attain. The square shape makes the stick easier to grip and is ideal for sanding a sharp edge for drawing fine lines. ...more »7 items
- Primo Charcoal PencilsExperience this exclusive rich, black and white, euro blend formula -the smooth charcoal can be used in combination with other drawing pencils or alone for dramatic effects. It's less dusty than many other charcoals.4 items
- Chunky Charcoal$5.95Out of StockBig ideas are the reason for this artist quality maxi-sized charcoal. Each stick is a full 5/8" thick and 3 3/8" long, making it easy to create drama with intense, dark, black lines.
- General's Charcoal White Set of 2$8.30Out of StockGeneral's White Pencil is a smooth, blendable white pencil made from a unique drawing formula created by General Pencil Co. over 100 years ago. These pencils are best used on papers with a texture. Use for highlighting on black charcoal drawings or use alone to create unique drawing on colored papers. General's Charcoal White Pencils can be used to transfer a design or to draw directly on fabrics. Pencil marks will wash off. Each set comes with a pencil sharpener.
- General's Peel & Sketch Charcoal Pencils3 items
- General's Charcoal Pencils4 items
- Coates Willow CharcoalFor over 30 years the Coate family in England has been producing a truly unique ultrafine quality art charcoal produced from willow grown at their planation. All charcoal is made of raw round burned rods in a natural diameter. All are very soft and velvet, producing deep black hues favoured by artists. Sticks are 5"(125mm) long sticks and vary in diameter because Coate's is a natural product.7 items
- Faber-Castell Pitt Charcoal Pencils3 items
- Gioconda Chalk Pencils6 items
- Faber-Castell Compressed Charcoal4 items
- Prismacolor Charcoal Sketching Set$60.60Out of StockExperimenting with sketching materials doesn’t have to be expensive! With its selection of popular charcoal sketching tools, this set allows beginning artists to experiment with a variety of media to determine their favorites. The Charcoal Sketching Set contains compressed charcoal; vine charcoal; soft, medium, hard and white charcoal pencils; sepia and sanguine pencils; an extra-large kneaded eraser, a magic rub eraser, a steel sharpener and a blending stump.
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.