Hobby & Craft: Dyes
- Acid Dye 1 Pound$35.20-$117.9540 items
- Cyanotype Sensitizer Set$19.702 Component Set for Photographic blueprints on paper and fabric
Cyanotype is the “original” sun-printing process, one of the earliest photographic techniques. Discovered in 1842 and distinctive for producing rich, Prussian blue monochromatic prints, Cyanotype was popular well into the 20th century as an inexpensive method for reproducing photographs, documents, maps and plans (hence the enduring architectural term “blueprint”) and famously, for making impressions of biological specimens in the field (“photograms”).
- Cyanotype Fabric Sheets$43.95-$99.95These pre-treated Cyanotype Fabrics make cyanotype printing easier than ever before. Simply expose the fabric to sunlight or UV (3-15 minutes, depending on conditions), placing objects or a film negative on top to create an image. After exposure, prints are processed in a tray of cool water and allowed to air dry.3 items
8.5" x 11" 30 sheets
- Jacquard Film Marker$5.95This resist pen is completely opaque, fast drying, non-toxic and perfect to use for marking film media. It can be used to draw designs directly onto SolarFast film. It can also be used with screen printers to make prints from original drawings. The pen has a medium 1.2mm point. The carded version can be hung on the side of the SolarFast rack.
- SolarFast Film$29.95SolarFast Film is used in an ink jet printer to create film negatives to print continuous tone designs on paper or fabric with SolarFast Dyes. Eight 8.5" x 11" sheets per package.
- SolarFast Dye$19.95These dyes are used to create photograms, continuous tone photographs, shadow prints and ombr s on fabric and paper. It is also great for painting, tie-dyeing, screen-printing, stamping, batik and more. 4 ounce bottles16 items
- Jacquard Basic Dyes$9.80The perfect solution for hard-to-dye materials. Developed for acrylic fibers (e.g. faux fur, wigs and inexpensive yarn), these dyes are also the go-to for wood, reeds, straw, paper, leather and hemp! Use them for potpourri, dolls, buttons and furniture, or add to Piñata Claro Extender for custom alcohol ink colors.13 items
- Cochineal$23.50-$99.95Cochineal is among the most ancient and versatile natural dyes on the planet. It has excellent light and washfastness properties and produces a beautiful range of reds, scarlets, violets, fuchsias and purples. Permanent on all natural fibers, cochineal is often used with a mordant such as alum. The color (carminic acid) comes from the bodies of female insects of the species Dactylopius coccus. These parasitic insects are farmed on the prickly pear cactus (nopal), which is native to Mexico, Central and South America.2 items
Jacquard’s Cochineal comes directly from a small, family owned and operated, organic farm co-op in Lima, Peru.
- Super Fast Acid Wool Dye$43.20-$106.90Eight beautiful colors for hard-to-dye protein fibers like wool, mohair, feathers and more. The colors have been specifically selected for their colorfastness and affinity for wool. Unlike typical acid dyes, the SuperFast Acid Dyes are all premetallized (also known as “metal-complex dyes”). Premetallized dyes strike faster than any other dye and are regarded as having maximum washfastness and lightfastness properties, making them especially well-suited for wool.8 items
- Procion MX Fiber Reactive Dyes 1 Pound$32.95-$161.95Procion is a concentrated powdered dye which, when added to water, produces exceptionally brilliant color. The dyes are intermixable, and the resulting colors are permanent, colorfast and completely washable. It is ideal for all natural materials such as cotton, rayon, linen, silk, wool, paper, reeds and wood. Plus, it can be used for a variety of applications including tie-dyeing, vat dyeing, batik, airbrush, hand painting, printing and spatter painting. Available in 2/3 oz. jars. Generally, one jar can dye more than five yards of fabric– about nine T-shirts.49 items
- Indigo Tie Dye Kit$23.95Out of StockThis kit brings the ancient art of indigo dyeing to the home dyer in a user-friendly formulation. Indigo dye, which comes from a plant, is one of the oldest dyes used for coloring fabrics and the one still used today to color blue jeans. This natural dye process has long been used in many cultures around the world. This kit includes pre-reduced Indigo dye, reducing agent, gloves, two sizes of rubber bands, two wood blocks, quick start instructions and an instruction booklet with dye patterns and historical overview of indigo. Dyes up to 15 shirts or 15 yards (5lbs.) of fabric. For ages 8 and up.
- Jacquard iDye$8.70Dyeing fabric in a washing machine has never been easier. iDye comes in a 14 g. packet that dissolves in water which means there is no handling of messy dye powders. Just throw the dye packet in, add salt or vinegar and run through the wash cycle. It is the ultimate easy way to get gorgeous color! Each packet will dye two to three pounds of fabric. Available in a variety of vibrant colors and two formulas; one for 100% natural fabrics and the other for synthetics.48 items
- Jacquard Acid Dyes$9.80Acid dyes are used to color silk and wool and other protein fibers (as well as some nylons), and nothing does it better! Extremely brilliant and colorfast, Jacquard Acid Dyes are highly concentrated, powdered hot water dyes that produce level, uniform color when immersion dyeing. They exhaust extremely well and won’t bleed or fade with washing. Of all the colorants in the world, acid dyes are known to produce the most vibrant colors of all, and Jacquard’s palette is unsurpassed both for quality and intensity.40 items
Don’t be alarmed by the name–the only acid involved is the white vinegar or citric acid that you add to the dye bath.
In addition to yarn, fiber and fabric dyeing, Jacquard Acid Dyes may also be used for direct painting or printing applications, using steam setting.
- Procion MX Fiber Reactive Dyes$9.80Procion is a concentrated powdered dye which, when added to water, produces exceptionally brilliant color. The dyes are intermixable, and the resulting colors are permanent, colorfast and completely washable. It is ideal for all natural materials such as cotton, rayon, linen, silk, wool, paper, reeds and wood. Plus, it can be used for a variety of applications including tie-dyeing, vat dyeing, batik, airbrush, hand painting, printing and spatter painting. Available in 2/3 oz. jars. Generally, one jar can dye more than five yards of fabric– about nine T-shirts.38 items
- Tie Dye Kit$39.95These easy-to-use tie dye kit features Procion MX fiber reactive dye, a concentrated dye that produces exceptionally brilliant color on any non-synthetic fabric. Each complete kit includes supplies to dye up to fifteen adult T-shirts: instructions, dyes in fuchsia, turquoise and yellow, soda ash dye fixer, rubber gloves, rubber bands and an extra bottle for mixing pastels or secondary colors. The dye is in powder form in large plastic squeeze bottles. Simply add warm water to dissolve the dye and it’s ready for use or for mixing new colors. The instructions describe and illustrate all the steps, including four tying techniques that produce different explosive patterns. Includes free DVD
- FAS Watersoluble Powder Dye 30g$6.9512 items
- Soda Ash Dye Fixer$9.80A mild alkali, Soda Ash is necessary to activate and set Procion dye. 1lb
How to buy
Note: we do not deliver outside New Zealand.
Enter the quantity and click "add to cart". When you are ready to pay for your order proceed to checkout. Payment is made by credit card on a secure server using Paypal or Payment Express. Alternatively you may pay by "bank deposit" or by phone on 09 489 7213.
Our delivery rates are:
- Prepaid A4 Satchel (nationwide): $5 per order †
- Local (Auckland): $5.50 per order *
- Local Towns (within 150kms): $7.50 per order *
- Rest of North Island: $9.30 per order *
- South Island and Great Barrier: $10.40 per order *
† Prepaid Satchel is available for some smaller items that will fit into an A4 envelope. Please do not select the satchel option if your goods are breakable, easily damaged or flammable.
* Oversized items may be charged an additional amount - once you have selected the items you need proceed to checkout to see the exact costs.
Rural delivery fee $3.30 per order
For privacy, returns and security policies please read our policies page.